Sensitive skin has many conditions assigned to it. You may break out with a rash or redness when a product touches your skin, you may notice wrinkles while you’re still young, or your skin may itch when exposed to cold. Taking care of your skin properly makes your skin more resistant to environmental issues that may cause problem flare ups.
Make sure to choose sensitive skin products that are fragrance-free and free of other irritating ingredients such as botanicals. Plant extracts and oils can have side effects, are irritating and may be the cause of problem skin.
The following are a must to help protect your skin from damage and for a more youthful, radiant skin:
- Cleanser – Start your routine with a gentle cleanser that is meant for your skin type.
- Use an alcohol-free toner to deep clean your skin, especially if you’re prone to acne.
- Moisturize with a fragrance-free moisturizer for your skin type. Salicylic acid is the main aspirin type ingredient often used in skin care products for acne treatment or anti-aging. Many people are finding they are allergic or have an intolerance to salicylates.
- Gentle Exfoliating Scrub and a facial mask with Kaolin clay can do wonders for removing dead surface cells and adding nutrients to your skin. It’s important to use a scrub that is not abrasive.
- Avoid very hot or cold water during your daily skin care routine.
- Don’t use skin care products with harsh detergents such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). This dries the skin, is an allergen and irritating.
- Don’t scrub your face with abrasive towels, brushes or loofahs.
- Avoid other harsh and irritating ingredients that are often added to anti-aging, lightening and acne products. These include: Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid.
- When touching your skin, make sure your hands are clean. It’s easy to transfer bacteria to problem skin and make the condition worse.